Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Condensor fan stops after 30 minutes and have to wait before

Customer Question

condensor fan stops after 30 minutes and have to wait for awhile before i can turn it back on. I can hear the compressor is on even when the fan is not spinning.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: for a couple weeks now. I have already replaced the capacitor as someone suggested but the problem is still the same
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if at all possible. cant afford to have someone fix it for me right now.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have also cleaned the coils. but that is about all that has been done
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Hello, feel for any detectable sideways play in the motor bearings, do that by putting side ways pressure on the motor hub, if you can feel any play at all. the motor bearings are shot.... typical cure is to replace the motor.

New sleeve bearings are not readily available, but if you can find them and the shaft is not damaged (slight chance of that) then you can replace the bearings.

Tell me about how old the motor is, and the brand name of the unit itself so I can tell what type of bearings it has,

We can go from there