BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My a/c unit comes on fine when it first starts up but after

Customer Question

my a/c unit comes on fine when it first starts up but after it reaches the set temperature and kicks off and then when the temperature rises and it calls for it to come back on the compressor kicks on but the condenser fan motor wont kick back on. If I manually turn the fan it will come on until it reaches temperature and then I have to go back thru the same process again. Any ideas as to why it's doing this or suggestions how to fix it?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: no the thermostat is set at the same temp and I don't mess with it. My filters are new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's about it I am just getting tired of having to go outside and push start the fan motor every afternoon
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 months ago.

My name is Billy. This is a sign of a bad start capacitor. Follow the wires from motor to a canister....remove this canister and get an exact replacement. Then you are back in business.

Billy