Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My trane comfortlink ii xl900 is blank with a red flashing

Customer Question

My trane comfortlink ii xl900 is blank with a red flashing light. No AC upstairs
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello, is the outside unit running, and is there AC downstairs, with air blowing from the vents downstairs?

If so then the upstairs thermostat is bad or the zone damper or zone control relay for that zone is bad....its a fairly complex trouble shooting process... tell me a lot about you skill sets and if you have a multi meter or not.

If not, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will locate a well rated Trane dealer for you.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The AC downstairs is on, but there are 2 seperate units. The display came back on today, still doesnt respond to touch, with the red light turning on and off.
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** is usually in the electronics micro computers, either in the thermostat or the air handler... diagnosis is complex, tell me a lot about your skill sets and if you have a multi meter or not, figure 2 hours of your time to follow my coaching instructions.

Or... you might get lucky and it could be that outside unit for that system has a dirty condenser, and if it has gone off during hot weather, all that will be needed is cleaning the condenser then locating the high pressure cut out switch on the unit.

To locate that find it on the unit wiring diagram then follow one of the two wires attached to it, and press the reset button.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My husband usually deals with all this, but he is away on travel until the 4th, so very novice. The thermostat had done this in the past and resetting the breaker usually works, but didn't this time.
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** husband and ask which company he normally deals with and call them... this is not something that you should or could handle yourself... if has no preference but OK's service, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will locate a well rated outfit or two who will take care of this for you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We haven't had to call a tech out, we've only lived in this home for 3 yrs. But we live in the 76137 area.
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Thanks I need to know which part of the area code, direction from the nearest city enables me to pick the closest well rated company.. lacking that I might get you one from the other side of the county with a 50 mile round trip to your house... that runs up the service costs.