WCohn, Construction Worker
Experience:  Been in contruction 18+years

Have been having intermittent trouble with my Baxi 310fi. on

Customer Question

Have been having intermittent trouble with my Baxi 310fi.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: on and off for probably 2 years. let me explain the problem.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I've had an engineer come out, but he was not super familiar with the Baxi unit, so i've done a little on my own.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Can i explain the issue?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: About 25% of the time we open a hot water tap, we do not get hot water. The light at 60 degrees flashes indicating low system pressure or pump fault. Turns our pressure is fine and pump is fine. We recently replaced one of the hot water sensors and just today i replaced the main diaphragm. Still have the same trouble. WHen this happens, all i need to do is to turn the Baxi off, then back on. Once i turn it on, as long as the hot weater tap is stillopen, the unit fires up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It seems it might be one of two things, based on my conversation with Tech Help at Marathon today. 1) either the microswitch that sits atop the diverter mainfold, or 2) the diverter manifold itself. The pin in the manifold (that comes up and activates the micro switch) does not go all the way down into the manifold body, and i think is supposed to. I took the top off that mainfold today to replace the diaphragm, but i did not pull it out to check the pin or to clean or lubricate it - this was later suggested by the Tech, but it's going to be something of a difficult job. Please help.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi - yes, yours is the first response. I would certainly like to continue the conversation. What more info do you need on your end?
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Sir my name is ***** ***** I would like the opportunity to help you. Not sure why this question just appeared on my list, but I am sorry you haven't been helped yet.

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

It sounds to me as if you may have cold water going through the unit backwards. Is there a check valve on the system that could be stuck open? Or a shower valve with a pressure balancing spool that has failed. Do you have a hose bibb that is capable of giving hot and cold water?