Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I havean FS3BA-048KA. compressor comes on blower fan does

Customer Question

I havean FS3BA-048KA. compressor comes on blower fan does not and of course it will overheat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: This week when we turned it on... apparently we left it covered before we turned it on
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yep
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No thx
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 5 months ago.

Are you saying the blower in the indoor does not come on or the condensing fan in outdoor unit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The condensing fan on the outdoor unit

You have either a bad fan or bad capacitor.Try using a stick to push start the fan and let me know if it comes on.THen we will want to get a capacitance meter and check the capacitor and a volt meter to check voltage to determine if motor or capacitor is the culprit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks I assumed the start cap may have gone bad But wasn't sure if there is a thermal cutoff on the fan itself. As I mentioned we powered up the unit for the first time this season with the unit covered up with a tarp so the fan would have had a huge airflow resistance . I will try to give the fan motor a nudge under power to see if it runs..

If this is first time it is started, A nudge may solve your problem.Often over winter months it will seize from sitting still.Let me know.If it starts. Let it run a few minutes then cycle off for a few minutes and then back on and see if it starts on its own.