Sean, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner HVAC company
64612473

Just bought a house with a Goodman central air system. Can't

Customer Question

Just bought a house with a Goodman central air system. Can't figure out how to turn it on. The breaker is not tripped. I put the thermostat to cool and turned the fan on, but get nothing. The condenser doesn't turn on. Not sure what else to check.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
Good morning, bummer to here this.So your blower in the house is blowing air but the ac is not running correct ?Out at the Ac.there is a disconnect small.box.hanging on the wall open that up and disconnect may be pulled or offDo you have a voltage meter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Blower in the house is not blowing. I did pull the disconnect and reseat it. I do have a meter.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
Switch at the furnace you check that
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Switch on front of boiler is on.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
Is your ac attached to the boiler , I haven't seen this before.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
If you have a boiler you may have a separate air handler in attic, closet
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is an air handler in the attic.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
Which that is where your coil is at for ac also switch for power some have breakers on then as well.Did you check.for.voltsge at outside.disconnect. some disconnects have fuses
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did not check for voltage. The disconnect I believe is just a fuse. I pulled it out and reseated it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it possible to continue this either later or tomorrow. I'm being called into work and won't be back for atleast 5 hours.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
Yep no problem. Just respond back when you get home I'm also working
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ready to troubleshoot more whenever you are.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
I realized what I typed up earlier never went thru.....So, first if I'm not responding back fast enough I'll opt out to let another expert help you, Im out working now.Alright so I need to confirm to see if your getting 220 to your system so kill power at disconnect open small panel on side of ac and check at contactor. L1. L2 should have 220 across it. Then go to top of contactor and let me know what you have .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll let you go. I have an electrician friend that's going to come over and check it out. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.
We're good, this is what we do. Work in field and help on here.If you would like to continue we can no worries. I'm thinking it's a voltage problem or a capicator.Also.be sure at the end to.rate me so I can be paid for my time helping you.