Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I need help on an AIr Conditioning system please. I do think

Customer Question

HI, i need help on an AIr Conditioning system please. I do think I am paying monthly.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

What problem are you having?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi, 2011 New Holland tractor; ac compressor kicks in and out every 20 seconds; it is cold air but is this right ? Low side is 18-20 and high is 175.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It came is with the problem of "cycling" and not blowing cold air when it cycled. I recovered 2.3 lbs and then changed the "block valve" now is cycling every 20 seconds.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there any "corelation" between the low side pressure and the evaporator temp ? Someone has told be that 20lbs on low side guage means 20 degrees in evaporator?

1. Do you know if the system uses R-134A and what is outdoor temp?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My AC temp chart shows low side pressure should be 35-40 lbs at 80 degrees outside temp?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
134a

Sounds like you probably have a restriction or blockage in the orifice tube or expansion valve

The low suction pressure indicates the refrigerant is not properly getting back to the compressor so low pressure switch is shutting it off

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did just replace it. What should the low side be ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its not the temp switch in the evaporator thats shutting it off?

At 80 degree ambient, we really should be running 40 to 50

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I agree

Manufacturer could have used a temp or a pressure switch but they are in direct corolation . A 20psig is about a 20 degree coil which would ice

Did compressor fail and you had to replace?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No nothing failed: came in shop with low-low side pressure and frequent cycling-same as now.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It has an "electric thermostat switch" and I think it is shutting off compressure because it is getting too cold?

Honestly to me it sounds like there may be a small particle or something moving around in the system that is causing it .You might try adding just a bit of refrigerant just to make sure it is not due to low charge.We can be up as high as 210 on high side.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi- just to follow up on this-my low side is running 18-20 lbs; the dealership said this is "normal"; so why does everyone else say the low side is 35-45 ? I don't get it? And there is just one pressure switch and its on the dryer.

What does dealership say would cause the unit to cycle like it is?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm asking you

Short cycling is usually caused by the pressure or temperature dropping below the pressures shown on the chart I sent. This would be anywhere below a 32 degree coil.

I can not answer why the dealership would say 18-20 is normal