Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Troubleshooting an RV air conditioner. its a ceiling unit

Customer Question

Troubleshooting an RV air conditioner. its a ceiling unit without a thermostat. With any attempt to turn it on on any setting, absolutely nothing happens. The customer said that one minute, it was running and cooling, and the next minute, it just shut off and would not come back on. The capacitor seems to check out okay. But, on high cool the fan motor does not start or try to start, and neither does the compressor. I checked continuity on the switch, and I get none on low cool or medium cool. I am thinking that it may be the switch. any suggestions? The model is an Advent Model No. AC150
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 4 months ago.

Lets start by checking to make sure we have 120 volts between white going to COM on capacitor and black going to PCB

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pcb is what?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You do know this is an RV air conditioner, right? I usually get Randall for these questions.

Printed circuit board. Main board where high voltage black wire connects main power

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is that located?

THis will be in the ceiling unit