Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I GOT AN AMANA OUT DOOR AIR CONDITION UNIT. WHEN I PUT IT TO

Customer Question

I GOT AN AMANA OUT DOOR AIR CONDITION UNIT. WHEN I PUT IT TO AUTO, AN COOL THE UNIT TURNS ON BUT THE BLOWER MOTOR DON'T WORK , BUT WHEN I TURN OFF UNIT AN SWITCH IT TO FAN ON THE BLOWER MOTOR WORKS. I HAVE REPLACE THE TEMP CONTROL AN IT DOES THE SAME THING I'M THINKING IF THE BLOWER MOTOR WORKS ON FAN ON THE MOTOR IS GOOD OR AM I WRONG
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 5 months ago.

Please provide me with model on the indoor unit.Sometimes blower is controlled by different relays in ON mode, Cool Mode and Heat mode. May be a relay in unit that is not clsoing

Ig everything is in a packaged unit outside(No indoor) give me model on that unit

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Isan outdoor unit the brand is Amanathe model is pcc600 to The model pcc60c02e Amanda an is out door unit on top of roof
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
MODEL # ***** AMANA OUT DOOR UNIT

Looking at manual wiring now

Best I can tell the thermostat should energize the blower through the G terminal in both COOL and FAN On modes.Heat speed is energized through a separate relay for low speed.

Tell me which thermostat you are using and lets see if it has any settings we might check.

See diagram G energizes relay to turn on blower

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
LIKE I SAID I HAVE REPLACE THE THERMOSTAT AN ITS DOES THE SAME THING AN ITS A EMERSON THREMOSTAT

Model on the Emerson?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
AN IT DON'T HAVE HEAT ITS MADE TO PUT IT ON IF I WANT

The thermostat is responsible for making both Y and G terminals on call for COOL

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
THAT WHY I'M ASKING COULD IT BE MY BLOWER MOTOR THAT IS BAD BUT LIKE I SAY IT WORKS ON FAN MODE

It is not the blower. If you can turn thermostat to FAN On and make blower work, that tells us motor is Ok and that when G is energized, blower responds. Issue is that thermostat is not energizing G terminal on call for Cool as it should

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
COULD IT BE THE COOLING RELAY AN WHERE IS IT LOCATED BECAUSE THE ONLY RELAY I HAVE FOUND IS THE CONTACTOR

Let me ask you this question. Goodman used what is called an ECM motor on some of these units and a PSC motor on others. Can you look at the blower motor and tell me if your motor has a capacitor and only 4 or five wires or if motor has a bell on end od motor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
THE BLOWER MOTOR HAS A HOUSING AN INSIDE HAS A POWER SUPPLY THAT SUPPLYS TO A BOARD THAT I BELIVE IS FOR THE HEAT FOR THE UNIT IF I WANT TO INSTALL THE HEATER KIT ON IT

I have to step away from desk but will return shortly.I will open this to other experts until I return.If no one picks up the question, we can continue when I return

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK

Sorry about the delay. Just got back.

I have done a bit of research and determined that the E in your model indicates this unit uses an ECM (variable speed motor).

The motor is High voltage AC powered but low voltage controlled through the computer board.

You issue is going to be either the bell control on the end of the motor or it is going to be the control board.

However to troubleshoot is going to require a special tool called an ECM motor tester. I am including links to verify this and instructions for troubleshooting.If you have or can get the tester I will be happy to guide you in determining if the bell controller or the board is the culprit.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1p9oo8lxwy4p19o/Ecm_motor_servicing_guide.pdf

Here is a link to the tester.

https://www.grainger.com/product/6PFG9?gclid=CNm6h63iqs0CFdU7gQodkd8Ccw&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Motors-_-Motor%20Supplies-_-6PFG9&AL!2966!3!50916701757!!!g!82128731277!&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916701757!!!g!82128731277!&ef_id=VznGnAAAAG7Thv3w:20160615192958:s

Let me know if you have the tester or can get it and we will go from here.