Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

I have a rite temp thermostat and i can't get it to change

Customer Question

i have a rite temp thermostat and i can't get it to change temperatures i changed the batter's and did a rest but that didn't help the touch screen seems to work a little bit but i can't change time or adjust the temperature with the arrows please help
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No that i can think or i am currently not at the location were the thermostat is right now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 4 months ago.

If thermostat is set to call for heat and numbers will not change, thermostat may have taken a power spike.If you already tried a reset with no success you may have to replace thermostat.There is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.
Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.