BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a new Rheem Air conditioning system. Last week, it

Customer Question

I have a new Rheem Air conditioning system. Last week, it needed Freon or whatever the coolant is which is being used now.
I thought this was a closed system and that everythng was set at the factory. How can a new air conditioner need coolant in order to keep the house cool?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 months ago.

My name is Billy.

Home ac units are generally brought in sections and then piped together. Then the refrigerant is released or installed. A refrigerator or package device is all one unit and charged and sealed at the factory.

In home units it is common to develop a leak which then requires repair and then more refrigerant. The issue is that if there is a leak...it MUST be located and repaired. You can not just add refrigerant without finding and fixing the leak.