HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have changed thermostat and when I move thermostat up the

I have changed thermostat and when I move thermostat up the compressor is still making humming noise
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

So if you turn it off the compressor is still running correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it sounds like it to me. The fan stops when I move the thermostat up and also when I turn to off position. I just replaced the thermostat with an exact match because it was doing that with old one. It blows out old air.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cold air

If you disconnect the Red wire to the thermostat does it still stay on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I haven't tried that.

Try that and let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I disconnected red wire and it stopped
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am a divorced mom who is an accountant. Am I going to get shocked?

No you will not get shocked, so this tells us that the thermostat is the issue, either it is not wired right or it is bad.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you're saying the new thermostat I bought is bad? The thermostats looked exactly the same except the new one had six little screws for different colored wires and the old one had seven screws and seven wires. I put black electrical tape around the cream colored wire on new thermostat since there wasn't a screw for it. On thermostat it said hs/hp. So should I put old one back on?

I would put the old one back on, but tell me what wiring you have hooked up to which terminals on it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cream not hooked to 1st term since on new one there isn't a screw,Red was to 2nd term says +7.5, yellow to 3rd term says cool, peach/orange to 4th term says furnace, blue to 5th term says hi fan, tan/brown to 6th term says fan, green to 7th term says gnd

Do you have a picture of it you could upload here?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but it's not letting me upload the pic

You should be able to use the paperclip attachment to upload them

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't see a paper lip attachment. I tried the +add files and I click on photo but it doesn't come up for me to send it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you get it? I reconnected the red wire cause it was getting hot.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

What is the complete model number and issue you are having?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Seriously you are a different person that I've spent almost an hour going back and forth?

I may be a different tech, do you have the switches set correctly it sounds like you may have the FAN switch to ON and then it will never shut off.

Hi there,

I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, if there is something else I can help you with follow up questions are free and can still be handled even after you rate the service thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I DO NOT have the switch in the ON position, I am smarter than that. I am not happy with this service and the previous gentleman that helped me. He just quit answering my questions.