Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My air conditioning does not seem to be working. The

Customer Question

My air conditioning does not seem to be working. The thermostat is set to 74, it is 80 degrees in the house. Nothing is coming out of the vent. If I turn the AC to fan, nothing comes out of the vent. If I ask my husband about it, he says I don't understand how air conditioning works, and that I can't just set the thermostat to 74 degrees and expect it to be 74 degrees if it is 90 degrees outside. It seems to me that is kind of exactly how air conditioning is supposed to be work, but regardless... wouldn't the air conditioning just be running and running trying to get to 74 degrees, even if it can't accomplish it? Nothing is coming out of the vents.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 4 months ago.

Hi how are you? It is exactly how AC is supposed to work. Have you checked all of your breakers? Can you tell me the model and serial of your equipment? Also, is your outdoor unit running?