Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I trying to replace my wall thermostat but the instruction

Customer Question

I trying to replace my wall thermostat but the instruction say to install a jumper if I using a heat pump without auxiliary/backup heat so my question is how do I find out if I have auxiliary heat or not
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I know is the thermostat the filter is clean
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: How do I find out if I have an auxiliary back up heat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Some things that will help me to help you.

1. Other than the heat pump, do you have gas heat in the house? Or are you all electric?

2. Did your old thermostat have a switch or a setting labelled "Emergency Heat"?
3. Can you locate the circuit breaker for your furnace? If so, is it a single or double pole breaker?

Let me know.