Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Does a condensate line gh efficiency furnace or split system

Customer Question

Does a condensate line for a high efficiency furnace or split system air conditioner NEED a trap? or a cleanout? If so, why? Attached pic is a 2015 high efficiency gas furnace. Condensate line has better than 1 inch drop on 12 inch run to exterior drain once it levels off.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

It does not always need a trap, no. Many techs use traps. I have not used them and have been doing installs for many years and have had no problems.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My understanding of traps is to stop the entry of noxious gases into the living space- is there any other reason for a trap that is specific to HVAC? Cleanouts- should they be in place so home owner can flush the line in between the seasonal "tune up" visits by service techs? Or not a needed item?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

If your PVC condensate line is all cemented together, cleanouts can be helpful. Traps are not really necessary. I'm not sure where you got the noxious gas theory, but I do not use them and actually many of the techs I've worked with in the past do not either.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Perhaps this article will be helpful.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Did you have additional questions?