Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

The heat comes on, but the a/c does not : the beginning of

Customer Question

the heat comes on, but the a/c does not
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: the beginning of the problem is that we notice that the heat would not cycle off last winter, so we turned the breaker off and did not use the unit. Now that it is summer, we need a/c. The heat will still come on and not cycle off, but it will not switch over to a/c
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: we have a goodman electric furnace and a digital themostat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

This sounds like it could be a bad thermostat. Have you tried bypassing the thermostat?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No - don't know how
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Turn power off to furnace or air handler. Take front part of thermostat off the wall loose from back section where all the wiring is. We will take the wire off the R terminal, Y terminal, and G terminal and twist the metal ends together, then turn power back on. See if AC now works.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have an rh and txt wire - plus g and h ...which is it?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

RC and R

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still blowing hot air
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Is outside unit running?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Is the suction line cold to the touch? The suction line is the larger of the two copper lines going into unit and covered with black foam.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's hot
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Sounds like either compressor is not running or unit has lost some or all of it's charge.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Husband believes the ac works - some cold air is coming out - but heater won't turn off, so it is making it hot
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

That would be a bad thermostat most likely. Since you have the thermostat off the wall, take the white wire off the W terminal, see if heater stops.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still hot air
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Is furnace running?