Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Gaztech

We have a Trane XV90 and it's not cooling the house. It's on

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, we have a Trane XV90 and it's not cooling the house. It's on and sounds like it's working but there's a slight breeze of cool air coming out of the vents.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: And just so you know, t
he unit outside is working too.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: When I open the door where the furnace is, it sounds like there's a whistling sound coming from it. That's the only thing noticeably different.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.

If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

NOTE: I can only get paid for assisting you if you click FINISHED and RATE ANSWER after you are satisfied with answer.

Expert:  Gaztech replied 4 months ago.

With the info you provided it sounds like you have a issue with a low refrigerant charge or a restricted air flow a the furnace, this will create a freeze up effect at the indoor coil. look for ice buildup at the indoor and outdoor unit where the copper lines attaches to the unit. If you do..

1- Make sure you have a clean filter in your furnace, if it is very dirty, shut off your ac unit for a few hours to let ice melt with only the indoor fan running.

2- With a clean filter try the AC and look at the outside copper lines, the big one should be wet and cold, with no ice and the small one should be warm, and top fan should be exhausting warm air.

3- After doing step 1 and 2 you still have issues, you are probably low on refrigerant and will need service.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Luke. I turned off the AC and fan off last night and when I checked the furnace this morning, all the ice build up had thawed. So, I set the thermostat to 72* and when the temperature went up, the AC turned on. And guess what, cool air was blowing through all the vents in the house. Everything is working as normal. Again, thanks for your help.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 4 months ago.

Best regards ***** ***** and your close ones, have a nice summer.