D.E. Anderson
D.E. Anderson, Industrial Refrigeration Service Manager
Experience:  15 years experience. Design, install, service of residential & commercial hvac/r equip.
76443755

Leaking form ac vent in bathroom ceiling during heavy rains

Customer Question

leaking form ac vent in bathroom ceiling during heavy rains
Category: HVAC
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 8 months ago.

Hi is it leaking from inside the vent, or around the vent? Does the vent appear to be sweating?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hear is a picture of the vent

That looks like sweating. Do you have access to the duct where it terminates to the bathroom through an attic or an access?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No access
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It only does it in heavy rain

I would remove the vent from the ceiling and look to see if it appears if there is air exchange occurring between the concealed space and the conditioned space around the duct boot in the ceiling. It would be a good idea to seal it with caulk. I would also check the humidity level in the home. And if it is excessive, it may be worth having a professional look into it. It is only occurring when it rains because while raining, humidity is near or at 100% outdoors. Too much of that humidity is seeping into your conditioned space, causing the vent to sweat. I would verify there is no leakage around any windows in that room that air and humidity would be able to exchange. That could also be humidity seeping into the concealed area of the construction then seeping in around the duct boot. The issue is the humidity level in that room and that is resulting in the vent sweating because the vent grille is becoming very cold due to the flow of AC air and causing the moisture in the surrounding air to condense on the metal vent's surface.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have concerns about or need an answer for.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But it doesn't happen going light rain only doing heavy Trinchal rain

That's because there is a larger volume of moisture in the air. A light rain will not transfer as much humidity into your home as a terrible rain. You need to figure out where the humidity is getting in at. Especially if its only in that room. Is there a bath fan in that room?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a whole Home dehumidifier on my unit
I would run the bathfan to vent some of that humidity and verify your whole house dehumidifier system is functioning correctly. The humidity level in that room is the reason you are seeing the moisture.

Hi, have you made any progress with your situation?