BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

Have a fairly old but not too old window unit thing runs

Customer Question

have a fairly old but not too old window unit thing runs great blows very cold air but some times it will start right up compressor cuts right on and runs great for hours.then some times it will cut on and run a little while and the compressor will cut on then cut right off and then it will draw power down, lights will dim like compressor is trying to cut on but want it might do this 3 or more times in a few min then it will finally cut on.the last few nights it will do this but will try harder 3 times in a row and will trip the breaker.
Could this be a capacitor problem?
I know the best answer is buy a new one but money is tight.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 months ago.

My name is Billy.

You are most likely correct. If I came to service this unit, with that description...the very first thing I would do i replace the capacitor.

The lights dimming...failure to start etc is a sign of a weak capacitor.

If it is NOT the capacitor...then it is likely a compressor, which means I would invest in a new unit.