Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I installed the thermostat however the a/c is not working.

Customer Question

Good morning. I installed the thermostat however the a/c is not working. There are 2 wires (orange and blue) that are not connected.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: The a/c has not been having problems with the old thermostat. I am thinking perhaps it has something to do with the wiring.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am pretty handy and would like to try to rectify the problem myself.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The black wire is connected to the yellow connection on the thermostat??
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Are you saying when you hooked up new thermostat that there's an orange and blue thermostat wire that was not used? Can you tell me about your system. Is this a heat pump or standard central AC. How do you currently have it wired?