Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Our thermostat is flashing the word cool but there is no air

Customer Question

Our thermostat is flashing the word cool but there is no air coming out of the vents
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: During the day the house seems to be cool but at night the temperature rises.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: I've changed the batteries, we press the restart button on the thermostat the only thing we haven't done is check the breaker to see if the AC unit is receiving power.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of HVAC electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to know what type of system you have in your home. Typically you will have an outside condensing unit and an inside unit in your furnace.

Is this what you have?

Please let me know so that we can continue.