Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I installed (2) thermostats 8 months ago. The heating cycle

Customer Question

I installed (2) thermostats 8 months ago. The heating cycle worked fine, but the cooling cycle will not turn on on either thermostat. Power is on, fuses are good. Checked the wiring; only (4) wires Green White Yellow and Red. All installed in the appropriate terminals. The Cool On blinks, but the compressor will not start up.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, check for power to the outside unit first, If there is 230 volts measured, look for the thermostat wire that runs to the outside unit and examine it, it might have gotten chewed by a rodent or cut with a lawn edger.

Tell me a lot about your technical background... we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thermostat wire on both units is good. I have limited technical knowledge, but a quick study. Where do I check for the measured volts?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

If you are able read wiring diagrams attach very well focused close up, well lit photos of the wiring diagrams glued to the inside of the blower access panel on the air handler or furnace inside the house, include a photo of the printed circuit board in the same compartment where the thermostat wires connect.

I also need a photo of wiring diagram glued inside the electrical controls compartment of the outside unit...note the red warning stickers... this is dangerous for anyone even a trained tech to work on.

Use the paper clip icon at the end of the tool bar above or the 'attach files' link to the left of your send button.

It is possible that you might be underestimating the task here, training is usually 4 semesters, 20 units each at a community college then a 4 year internship working under a journeyman... there are also electronics and a mother board involved.... My risk on this end is that I can spend several hours or a day training and coaching you, at my own out of pocket expense unless you rate my work positively.

I may ask for a rating after I supply a trouble shooting mark up... then if you choose to rate my work, we can go from there without a time limit.

Let me know if that is OK with you, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your time in this matter. I thought it would be a quick fix, but obviously it is not. We do have an insurance policy in place to cover these sort of things, but as I said, I thought it might be something simple.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, it could turn out to be something simple, or very complex, by remote control here on line however any of this gets fairly complex.

If you can find the 'rate your expert' link and rate my work so far, the company will pay me for my time, that will not affect your charges but is how I earn a living.

Thanks!