Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

It won't change from heating to cooling. Just won't do

Customer Question

It won't change from heating to cooling. Just won't do anything
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: We have four units throughout the house. We switched each one from heating to cooling, but none of them is working. Slow green flashing light.
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, are these 4 *thermostats* around the house, or 4 separate AC units sitting outside the house. I need the brand and model numbers of the units sitting outside the house if any.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
First, let me tell you that this is not my house. I am a renter, so I will do my best to answer correctly.
There are four separate rooms that have units, so they all have a separate thermostat. The main unit is outside, so I will go and check to see if there is a model number
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

If there is a unit on the wall about 30" x 12" x 8" its a complex ductless AC system,

repairs are tricky. First make sure the power to the outside unit is on. If that fails tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city....your landlord should call them once I find a well rated outfit.

I still need that brand name on the outside unit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model # *****
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The heat works. It's just that when I switch to cooling, it closes up and stops working
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It says Daikin Multi-Inverter on it
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. thats a DAIKIN brand, one of the better on the market, but should also be attended to has 6 (SIX) micro computers on board! Complex to say the least.

Your landlord should call Daikin in your town or city to fix it... if he needs help finding the Daikin dealer tell me what direction you are from the center of the nearest city.

Meantime, try turning all 4 wall units off, then wait 15 minutes and turn them onto cooling one at a time....tell me how that goes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I just turn them off from the remote, or do I flip a switch. I notice there is a switch on the wall by each unit.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

use the remote

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, something happened. They're working now. Thank you. Not sure what caused that. I did notice that one of the remotes upstairs was set on heat rather than cool, so maybe that was the problem?