Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

We just moved in are house a month ago and i noticed are

Customer Question

We just moved in are house a month ago and i noticed are trane unit outside was turning off and on or short cycling blowing hot air and the air handler is still on when its going off and on outside then from about 8pm to 12 noon works fine normal cycle and house is cool could it be a bad capacitor,low refridgerent,bad contactor just crazy that it functions properly 75% of the time thanks
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: No thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is not a bad or weak capacitor issue. If it short cycles during the day as I understand it, say from noon or 6 pm or so, then it is likely a dirty condenser coil causing the unit to go off on its high pressure cut out switch.

Tell me about how old the system is, an take a really close look for dirt accumulation on the spine finned surface of the outside unit (condenser coil).

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The trane unit is from 2012 so is the air handler also trane 2012
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The condenser coil and fins look clean no blockage
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** step requires a set of refrigeration service gauges and manifold, and a clamp around type amp meter... it gets a bit technical. Let me know if want to get involved at that level or if you need a reference to a well rated service outfit in your area..... in that latter case I need to know which direction you are from the center of the nearest city.

We can go from there.