Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a gas furnace with Aquastat Relay and a 2 wire

Customer Question

I have a gas furnace with Aquastat Relay and a 2 wire Honeywell thermostat. I'm trying to replace the thermostat with an Ecobee that i can control on the internet but it requires a Common connection. I ran a third wire but nothing in the Aquastat is labeled "Common". Where do I connect the Common wire? - John
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I have 3 zones but I'm only trying to replace and control one of the zones.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Do you have zone valves?

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

If you have 3 zones you either have zone valves or a circulator/pump for each zone. I need to know which type of system you have. You can't get a reliable 24 v common from the aquastat relay

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think it is zone valves. There are 3 control devices on the pipes for the 3 zones. Each control device is about 2 inches on a side and 5-6 inches tall. They don't appear to be big or loud enough to be pumps.
p.s. sorry for the delay; my credit card company held the payment because they have no info on this, so it took time to OK.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Can you give me a picture? you can post pics here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button.

Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

If you can't post a pic I need the brand of the zone valves and you need to locate the transformer that powers them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Rick - again, I shouldn't have started this today. I have to go now but I just took some pix and will send to you, probably late today or tomorrow. - John
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

That's OK, I'm usually online between 8 am & 7 pm EDT (more or less, I do take breaks). I'll respond as soon as I can.