Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.

Have a Carrier AC Unit - Model FX4CNF018 - installed '09.

Customer Question

Have had to add coolant on multiple occasions. Replaced capacitor twice.
Repairman says there is a leak. We could have it fixed, but there is a danger in soldering those tubes. Called another repairman for a second opinion. He said that model is notorious for only lasting 5 years or so. To replace it would be about $3800.00 with an American Standard with a 10 year warranty. Shouldn't we have received better service from this AC? If so, what can we do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

They last longer than 5 years and an evaporator leak is where the leak is most likely, I would have that changed out. That repair should only be about(###) ###-####dollars far cheaper than a new unit. Unfortunately you would not have much recourse with Carrier as this could be a bad install they would say. I would though get it repaired by a reputable company in your area check Angie's list to find one.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!