Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

We have a Weatherking heat pump AC, The pump is outside the

Customer Question

We have a Weatherking heat pump AC, The pump is outside the furnace and AC in the attic. Last night the AC went out. It is 108+ here in AZ The fan still blows. I did do a rest on the thermostat, no so good. This AM we checked and the drain was not draining water.My husband pulled turned off the main AC circuit to checked to clean around the pump for trash, and check the capacitor, which was replaced last year. At that time her was a circuit board with blinking red lights and heard humming noise . He pulled the furnace circuit breaker and the noise stopped. There are solenoids right by the circuit board, they made a clicking noise and the drain starting to run. We have done nothing else What can we do next? Thank you
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, these are very complex systems. Tell me a lot about your electronics and electrical skills and I can coach you on the diagnosis most appropriately.

Tell me if you have cleaned the condenser coil in the outside unit, and looked for a one inch hole in the side with a reset button behind it.

We can go from there

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The coils are clean, is the reset button the one on the black box in the middle of all the wires etc?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If so we hit that button and now the compressor sounds like it is running...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are red lights flashing though
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Good work, you pressed the high pressure safety turn power off to the unit and rush over to a big box type hardware store and buy some AC coil cleaner spray foam, and brush, follow the directions and clean the condenser coil.

If the unit is running ignore the red lights those flash when a cooling signal is received.

Please find the 'rate your expert' button and rate my work, its how I earn a living and will not affect your charges.. in exchange I will hold the question open for any follow up you need,