Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.

We have a Fujitsu Mini Split unit model # ASU12RLS and we're

Customer Question

Hello. We have a Fujitsu Mini Split unit model # ***** and we're getting a bad order from it.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Ran the unit yesterday and after we turned it off we noticed the smell in the corner where the unit is mounted.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: The unit is about 4 years old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

As you are aware, the mini split simply cools (or heats) the air already in the room and recirculates it. If you are getting an odor, this is what is most likely happening:

The indoor unit has a condensate pipe that exits through the wall and drains outside. There is a possibility that the pipe is clogged or restricted which will cause condensate water to pool in the indoor unit and eventually give off a moldy smell.

You would need to check to see if the drain pipe is indeed draining the indoor unit of condensate. If it isn't then there is a restriction and you would need to track it down and clear it.
Once you have done that, you may want to closely inspect the indoor unit and give the inside of it a clean with Chlorox or something similar to kill any mold or mildew that may have collected.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Please let