Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I would like your help and assistances towards building a

Customer Question

I would like your help and assistances towards building a water catchment cleaning system, using Hayward Equipment. Our water catchment tanks are similar to an above ground pool that needs to be cleaned periodically. Roof water is transported via a gutter system to a water catchment tank with a heavy duty vinyl liner. Over time dust, leafs airborne particles are swept into catchment tank and settle on the tank bottom.
I'm looking to build a transportable cleaning system that will allow me to use a pool pole with vacuum attachment to clean tank bottom sludge / algae then pumping it out discharging into plants or yard as fertilizer. When the heavy dirty debris is removed I would like to turn a valve and clean the tank walls, having water pass through a filter to remove visible particles then pump filter water back into tank.
Water catchment tanks can range from 4 ft. to 8 ft. high
Must run on plug in 120 volts at 15 amps
Note: When water leaves catchment tank for house hold use it passes through another water filtration system that removes additional harmful elements and pathogens.
Your help appreciated
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thats quite a few issues to consider. Not so much a 'just answer' as a design project.

I will work with you on this for 45 minutes for the amount of your offer, then beyond that level I will work with you on a premium services basis depending on what you want.

That will give you a rough idea of my capabilities.

For now my comment is that a ounce of prevention will be worth a pound of cure regarding the water catchment basin (without a cover apparently)... there may or may not be options.

If you can make a sketch of what you have in mind on a sheet of paper then take a photo of it and attach it here using the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar above, or the 'attach files' link to the left of you send button, I can get started with some preliminaries...

then... if you accept that I will spend the remaining 45 minutes doing as much CAD design as I can in that time frame.... more detail will most likely involve a significant 'premium service' offer to cover the significant amount of engineering and component specification work required.

We can go from there if you wish.