Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Was is the typical warranty on an evaporator coil? : I have

Customer Question

Was is the typical warranty on an evaporator coil?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have an Armstrong Ultra SX 80. technician said the coil is cracked and needs to be replaced. How do I find out if it is under warranty?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Hello, 5 years on the 'sealed system' that includes the compressor, condenser coil and evaporator coil are common. That will include the parts and a small amount to help with the labor in some cases. !0 years is becoming more common, but the fine print varies. Some include a labor allowance, some do not.... and many in the 10 year range are *prorated. That means failure within the first year you get 100% replacement, and 5 years you get 1/2, and at 9 years you get 10% credit on the new part.

The average evaporator coil wholesales for $250 to $350... it takes one man half a day to change one, unless it is in the attic, or in an otherwise difficult location... then the cost is higher. Labor will generally run $600 to $800.

If you choose to rate this answer positively by clicking on the 'rate your expert' link, I can afford to hold the question open for unlimited follow up and coaching.

This is how I earn a living, if you do not rate, I work at my own considerable expense.

Thanks

Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

About how old is the system?

We can go from there