Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a Ruud gas/electric rooftop unit that is about 20-25

Customer Question

I have a Ruud gas/electric rooftop unit that is about 20-25 years old. The nameplate is completely corroded with no discernible model of other data available. It appears to be about a 5-ton unit. The unit measures 54.0" X 56.5". The bottom supply and return air connections are along the 56.5" dimension. I have pictures if they would be helpful.
Can you tell me the unit model number? If I have that, then I might be able to come up with an adapter curb that would take me from the existing unit to a new unit (Ruud or other make). Thanks for your help. Rick
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am looking your question over now, give me a few minutes to formulate a response please.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

I can help you with this, its something I do all the time....there is the easy way, and the exceedingly laborious way. Tell me please if you are a competing contractor or a building owner etc. The easy approach is to ask the Ruud dealer to stop by, take measurements and provide a quote.

The other way is to give me the exact dimensions of the curb, and the supply and return ducts, and all of the numbers on compressor name plate (its on a welded tag) and I will see what I can do. It is likely that transitions will need to be made from the existing duct drops to accommodate a new unit.

We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

The btu rating and tonnage is crucial, but secondary to the duct drop dimensions.

I also need to know the voltage to the unit and if its 3 phase or single phase.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We are the building owners. I have contacted the local distributor and he couldn't offer any constructive help at all. I was hoping you might have some Ruud contacts who could look at some old catalogs, compare dimensions, come up with some definitive information, and provide you with a model number based ion the gross exterior footprint dimensions I gave you.
As near as I can determine from information available to me, the supply drop is 18" X 25" and the return is 18" X 27". The compressor has been replaced and the service ticket indicates that it was a Copeland CRN5-0500-TF5-970 . The unit model number was shown to be a URGE1560, but I seriously question the validity of that piece of information. Power supply is 3-phase.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

We have Rheem. RUUD dealers on site here...I will opt out for a few hours and we can see if any of them take up your question. If not, I can help you get the information from Ruud that you need.

You have contacted one of their junior level people... we just need to get to the top is all... and that will be our best initial approach.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello again, I see a few other experts here and some Rheem /Ruud dealers have looked this over and chosen not to answer.

I can help the way I do it if you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city...I will make a few calls, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Phil, I'm not understanding what my location in Houston has to do with any of this. I've already talked to the local Ruud distributor and local Ruud dealers to no avail. I think it is going to take talking to someone who has access to a library or file of old equipment catalogs and technical data. I've tried to contact the Ruud/Rheem factory but the only way to do that is online. So far no answers. If we are unable to develop anything, I'm going to have to remove the unit from the roof curb, take exact measurements and pictures of what's there, and have a curb adapter fabricated to mate the existing roof curb and ductwork to a new unit. That will be a formidable undertaking, and I'll have to do so if we cannot develop any definitive identifying information.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Phil, I understand you are passing me on to another tech. Thanks.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

If none of our other experts pick this up, and since you are in Houston, I can connect you with any number of HVAC service companies that will be more than happy to come out and give you a bid on the replacement including figuring out the curb and duct transitions needed to make it all happen.

You are not stuck with Ruud.

Let me know if you want me to look around houston for you or not, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Phil, thanks for your prompt response. We have a mechanical contracting service outfit that does our work under my supervision, but who could not definitively ID the unit(s). That is why I contacted you - and you said you could help me. That was not to be, and I can accept that. I am going to have to arrange for the unit to be removed from the roof curb as I mentioned in my previous email and get the needed information that way. Since this whole effort came to nought with you I would appreciate your arranging to have my account credited for the initial charge.