Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

The thermostat screen om the TH8000 is on and unresponsive.

Customer Question

the thermostat screen om the TH8000 is on and unresponsive. I press the screen buttons but nothing happens. I replaced the CR 2032 battery. I waited about 20 minutes to turn the unit back on and connect the thermostat. Still unresponsive but the unit works but is stuck on the last temperture setting. Cant get the screen to work.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: none
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it is most likely that the thermostat is going bad, best to replace in that case.

We can however do a few tests if you like, tell me a lot about your technical skills so that I can coach you on that... and later if needed on the correct replacement that works with your type of system.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Phil, I replaced the lithium battery earlier already. I have decent technical skills. The one thing I had not done was blow out the thermostat. I didn't see any dust, webs, or anything, but I used PC air-can to blow all around inside the unit and put it back together. It's working now. I don't know if that will be temporary or not, but it works now.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Good work! So far in my 55 years in the business I have not seen a thermostat benefit from being blown out with air... there is always a first... get back to me if that does not solve the problem permanently.