Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My upstairs ac doesn't seem to be working- I have set at 74-

Customer Question

My upstairs ac doesn't seem to be working- I have set at 74- it's currently 82- system is on cool- but there is also a cool on indicator- not blinking-
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The indoor ac unit seems to be running- I just changed the batteries to the thermostat- but I don't feel any air blowing out of the vents
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, tell me please a lot about your technical skills background so that I can coach you most effectively.

If the unit out side is running and the thickest copper tube attached to it cool and the rest of the house is getting cooling.... the problem is most likely a stuck or defective zone damper (60%), or a problem with the zone control box, or thermostat.

If you can attach a very clear, well focused photo of the wiring inside the zone control box, and the wiring diagram glued to the inside cover of the blower in the air handler or furnace, I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

We can go from there.