airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have an 8 year old 2 ton Carrier brand cenral air unit

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old 2 ton Carrier brand cenral air unit for our upstairs floor. The compressor is outside and evaporator in the attic of course. Both are very accessible. It was diagnosed as having a bad tsv valve and i was quoted $1537 to change out the tsv valve and recharge the system. The valve is on the inlet to the evaporator in the attic. It is r410a refigerant system with about 50 feet of line each way between compressor and evaporator. I live in Benicia, Ca (San Francisco bay area, moderate climate). I have only one estimate from the company that did a check up on both of my AC units. Does $1537 sound reasonable.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 6 months ago.

The estimate sounds outrageous even in California where things are a bit higher than here in Alabama. The wholesale cost of the txv is less than 200 bucks, refrigerant about 8 bucks per lb wholesale and should not take more than 2 to 3 hours total. I would get other estimates.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Could the tech have cause any damage adding R410? The system was not low, just low reading on the low side before he added. I dont think he chcked the high side until he saw adding 410 was not helping. I dont like the loud hiss at the compressor that was not there before he serviced it. I know that for fact as i stood there with while the unit was running for the first five minutes before he serviced it.

UNit is most likely overcharged, Continued running could damage compressor as overcharge will wash lubricant from compressor windings.Do not run until we get the txv changed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars below.