Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Goodman AC air handler will not start

Customer Question

Goodman AC
air handler will not start
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Model is a AR42-1 Goodman air handler. I replaced the transformer and it burned out the new one. At advise of AC repairman / friend, I replaced the switch on the AC condenser unit outside and the electrical board in the handler which is in the attic. I then got a new transformer. Unfortunately the new transformer I got was a generic model and made best guestimate as to how the wires hook up (different color codes). I powered up the unit and it does not go on. 1st question is how to check to ensure I hooked the generic transformer up correctly. Can send picture and color codes if that helps. Then need to know how to test the power with a meeter.
Expert:  airheatman replied 6 months ago.

1.Your generic transformer should have different color wires for different voltage (208/240 or 120). In most cases we will have 240 for the air handler. Firs lets check between high voltage wires coming into unit to verify if we have 240 or 208.

Usually colors are as follows but please verify on transformer

Black and white=120

Black and red= 208

Black and orange 240.

So if we have 240 coming in we will want to connect our power wires to the Black and Orange transformer wires.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I took pictures of the transformers and instruction sheet. The word document shows how I cross referenced the board wires from the original blown out transformer to the new generic one. Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did not use the black or red wires that come from the side of the transformer that has 4 wires vs the other side (24v) that only has 2

OK looks like your new transformer is using white as common. So we will want to connect white and orange to the input side of transformer

Have you turned anything since installing new transformer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
by turned anything - you mean turned anything on since installing new transformer? yes, I did try and cycle the system but got no power...and no smell

OK lets see if transformer is producing 24v out

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do we do that? Where do I put the meter? Keep in mind that I'm very handy but lack technical knowledge - so you'll have to tell me where to put the meter and which point to use (red or black) and what to set the dial to ACV or DCV
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One more thing - how do I know which is the input side of the transformer - on side has 2 wires and the other side has 4 wires

1. The output 24v is the side with 2 wires.

2.Set meter to read ACV

3.Put one lead on each of the two low voltage wires

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my meter has 500, 250 and 10 as options. Which should I set it to ..10?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am testing the 2 24V output wires on the transformer which are red and green - correct?

Set to 25.That is lowest setting above 24, Yes between red and green

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This crappy meter only has 10, 250 and 500 as options. I set it to 10 and the meter went all the way to the right - so I has some power coming out

I meant 250 not 25

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK - and I am touching one point of the meter (red) to the red 24V output and the other point of the meter (black) to the green 24v output. It doesn't matter which point I use because your just testing conduction - correct?

Correct

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Getting what looks like 24 volts - meter jumps 20 point incrimants.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have to put the kids to bed so will have to pick this up tomorrow - thanks for your help talk to you then

We will go from here.Talk to you then

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you available now to continue the research on the AC handler?

Absoultely

OK. Now have you still got all the wires connected or do we have wires that need to be connected before trying unit to see if it will work?

WE know right now that transformer is good.If you have a short somewhere you will blow another transformer if short is not repaired. I suggest wiring an inline fuse into the low voltage circuit in case there is a short.Then you would blow a 50 cent fuse rather than burning up another transformer if there is a short.

Inline fuse holder

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All wires are connected except for high power red and black from transformer because those are for 120 and 208 v - is that correct? Onlyusing common and 240 via previous hookup

That is correct.

Now have you found what shorted and blew old transformer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I turned the power on and get nothing. I thought I was supposed to have the power in when I tested the 2 24v lines? I just did that again and still get a power read. But I get nothing if power is not on. So we know transformer us still good even though unit not working - correct?

Did you wire the low voltage wires just as they were before?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but let me double check as I have same working handler for 2nd floor

Ok if so. lets locate the pigtails (pink,green,whit and blue ) in air handler where thermostat wires connect. Undo wire nuts on pink and green and touch the unit pink and green together and see if blower comes on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Confirmed the 24v are hooked up to correct wires to the board

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got them - they are capped outside the handler
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Quick question - as long as I get 24 v from the low voltage wires of the transformer - we know it is still good - correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have one but not sure how to wire it. Do I just use it as a bridge between one if the 24v wires?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if it's hooked up correctly the I should still get 24v read from those wires - us that correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm confused - seems you may be having multiple conversations. Just asked me to find the pigtails that go to the thermostat and that's where we ended the conversation.

1.Transformer is good tight now

2.You should have 24 v between the pink and blue pigtail

3. DO NOT Bridge anything to blue (EVER)

4. For this test just remove wire nuts and touch pink to green to see if blower comes on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The system is still not working and we confirmed the transformer is still working because we still get 24 V on the low-voltage lines. What are next steps

Remove wire nuts and touch pink to green to see if blower comes on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It does not come on

Wait fan does NOT come on?

Should take about 30 to 45 seconds. Did you leave connected that long

?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I did not leave it in long enough to account for the delay. Will try that again. Thermostat has been fan all this time
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Reconnected pigtails for 2 mins - nothing. The thermostat is on fan. Nothing . Transformer still putting out 24 volts. Next ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thermostat is on 59 degree setting with AC switch in and handler powered on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To confirm - fan did not come in for any actions taken to date

OK something has to be wired incorrectly or we have a bad fan relay or fan if it does not come on when connecting the pink and green.

I know you are trying to get this solved and it is taking me a bit of time to respond..I own and operate an ac business, so it is sort of hard for me to sit in front of computer troubleshooting and take care of the business too during daytime hours.

I am going to opt out to see in another expert is available to dedicate his time totally to this issue and help you et it working .I will check back this evening to see .

I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk and delay getting assistance..Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

The situation with most of the Chinese made brands is two fold.

1. The sell so inexpensively in the US, that repairs can exceed the original

cost. That screens out most service companies, there is little profit for them,

and parts can be hard to locate.

2. There are other ductless type dealers for Daikin, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu and a few

others the might have the skills needed for repairs, and if you are lucky will

arrive to see what they can do for you. Finding on on this end could take

hours, but you can call around and ask.

Here is a google map with links in your area.

https://www.google.com.gt/maps/search/Clarksboro+NJ,[email protected],-75.3635007,11z/data=!3m1!4b1?hl=es-419

IF this turns out to be any help, click the rate your expert button...I will appreciate it, if not, please accept my apologies.

Thanks

Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Ooops, wrong post... I will get back to you in a moment after I send this answer to the right person.