Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am not sure if the air is working correctly. The cool sign

Customer Question

I am not sure if the air is working correctly. The cool sign keeps blinking on the thermostat.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The unit was running earlier today. No matter how low I set the thermostat it wont come on.
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: There seems to be some air blowing out. I just don't hear the unit outside.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 6 months ago.

The blinking indicates a 5 minute delay.Has it been blinking more than 5 minutes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has stopped blinking. I keep turning the temperature down and I don't feel any air. I don't hear the unit outside either.

Ok if nothing is coming on this is probably an issue with the equipment , not the thermostat. Do you have a volt meter and can you do some troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not have a volt meter.

Do you want to try a couple of hands on troubleshooting things?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Remove front on thermostat.Disconnect the R and G wires and touch the wires together to see if indoor blower will come on

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think the indoor blower is what I'm hearing now. Something is blowing out of the vents. It's just not cold.

OK next connect the R and Y wires and see if outdoor will come on

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried that . Nothing. I kept hearing a sound coming from the unit. It didn't come on though.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't worry about the phone call. I'll just keep running back and forth to the thermostat and computer.

May be a capacitor keeping unit from coming on. Can you open outdoor unit and locate capacitor to see if it looks swollen?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I might have to wait until morning to do that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is the outdoor unit easy to open?

Probably about 4 screws. We can continue in the morning when it is light if that is good for you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Morning would be better.

Excellent. We will go from here. Just come back to question to continue

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do.

Talk tomorrow.Look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I appreciate it. Thanks

night

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. The capacitor seems to have a cover on it. I'm trying to get that off.

Let me know how it looks.