Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

A/C unit has been running hrs - not shutting off at all.

Customer Question

A/C unit has been running for 2 hrs - not shutting off at all. Worried it may freeze up or something.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: its set at 78 & it's 78 degrees, but it's not shutting off. Been running for 2 hrs.
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, use a thermometer in the cold air outlet closest to the air handler and tell me what it reads after 3 minutes... then use the SAME thermometer to read the room air temperature.

I can tell a lot from those results... also tell me if the air flow is brisk or sort of weak coming from the same air vent.

Look at the two copper tubes attached to the outside unit, tell me if the fattest one is cool, sweating or frosty.

We can go from there.