Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My air handler is not coming on?

Customer Question

My air handler is not coming on?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I will send you a premium service phone call offer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mike Goodman air handler or is showing codes CE And then 9 5or 6 5
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

The error code readouts are printed on the units wiring diagram or on a sticker near it, the diagram is glue to the inside of the blower service panel.

These change with each model and year to year in many cases.

Tell me a lot about your skill sets and what test instruments you have or can use so that I can coach you most effectively.

Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Generally a mix of various codes like that indicate a failed printed circuit card... that is outputting bogus error codes.

We can do some tests depending on you skill sets and instruments you can use.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am pretty handy. But I don't understand those codes. My compressor outside it's kicking on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a voltage meter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please tell me what else I need and I will get it
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** in the 90% range that the codes are bogus, and originating from a bad printed circuit card.

Closer diagnosis will take a few hours... and I can do that with you... success rate on that proving its something else than a bad printed circuit card is slim...you will need a good meter, and the few hours it will take.

Or... we can take another path... send me a photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the blower service panel, taken close up, well lit and very very well focused. use the paper clip icon at the top of the tool bar for that or the 'attach files' link to the left of your send button.

and tell me if the blower in the air handler is running or not running when the outside unit is running.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Blower is not coming on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can hear a click on top of the blower
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Hello again, its an electronically controlled (ECM) motor, single phase AC power input is converted to 3 phase DC inside the motor... the electronics go bad. Trouble shooting is complex enough that 90% of trained techs just replace the motor and its attached printed circuit board.

If you can get me the model numbers from the motor itself I can probably locate an electronics trouble shooting diagram or video for you if you want to dig into it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you mean replace the motor and the main board?
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

No. I mean that is what about 3/4 of trained techs would do to avoid repeated call backs, its a bullet proof fix... about 10% would do a complete diagnosis... thats tricky and you need skills

None the less if you want to spend a few hours that way, get me the model number and brand from the motor and I will pull up the manuals and diagnostics for it.

Let me know, we can go from there in any fashion that wish. Diagnosis and the repair will take us maybe 4 hours if you want to spend the time... its entirely up to you and your skill sets.