Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Gaztech
92290868

I have a Ramsond 55GWX mini split unit. It has stopped

Customer Question

I have a Ramsond 55GWX mini split unit. It has stopped cooling sufficiently all of the sudden. The humidity is extremely high right now and outdoor temps are in the 80's but it has cooled up until now. The inside fan is running fine but the compressor is either not running or when it does, it seems to run and 1/2 power...I see the fan moving but barely. Could my freon just be low?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.

If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

NOTE: I can only get paid for assisting you if you click FINISHED and RATE ANSWER after you are satisfied with answer.

Are you ready?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please. I'm ready
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I finally just turned the unit off today. It's not cooling and I was afraid I'd burn something up
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Sorry to hear your having problems,

Can you say that the outdoor fan is turning slow with low power or maybe the wind blowing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think maybe it was just the wind blowing it, it wasn't turning at all late this evening so I turned it off...inside fan was running , outside compressor was just humming
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Sounds like you might have a bad Capacitor in your outdoor unit

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would call, but I have NO phone service at the cabin where the unit is located. So it won't do much good to call about it. AND I really dont want to spend any more money than I have to because I feel I'll still have to call an expert out here
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is that easily replaced? how expensive?
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Open the top cover and look for the capacitor, it's a cylindrical aluminium part, looks like a battery, see if the top part wher the wire go is all bulged out, it should be flat

Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Easy to change and cost about $20

Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Shut power off first

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I like the sound of that! I'll have to check that tomorrow evening after work though. The unit is in a cabin that I rent out as a B&B and its dark down there with no-one here to help me hold a light. Can I check it and still get back with you?
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Let me give you a picture, stand by

Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

fist one good, second one is bad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok great. I'll check it as soon as I get home from work tomorrow. However, my unit doesnt open on the top. It has a side panel, will it be behind that?
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

From what I see on internet files your unit should have scews securing a top cover, cant give you more details on it cause not much on the net for that brand, but when you take part out after taking a clear pictur of wiring going to the 3 terminals C FAN HERM, take the part to a hvac store and get or order the replacement part.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** it a shot. How do I get back in touch with you to finish up?
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

On this same page , it will still be open for discussion

Cheers!

Luke

NOTE: I can only get paid for assisting you if you click FINISHED and RATE ANSWER

Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

Info details to look for on you part

Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

This is an example only, yours is different

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello? Are you there? haha...my son in law is looking at it now. He said the capacitor is fine because it is actually starting the fan, however NOT at full power....what now?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
could it be the fan motor maybe?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
well never mind. I had to call an AC guy out...I have to get this thing fixed.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 6 months ago.

First thing first, if the fan starts but is running low speed does not mean capacitor is good, the capacitor has to measure to exactly the capacity they are rated according to specs indicated on the capacitor, that can only be determined with the proper tools, it is a dual capacitor and this part can decrease from specs or completely burn out.

Hope you get the issue resolved.

Have a good summer.

Luke