Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Frierich wallmaster, runs , but not cooling. Unit is 5+

Customer Question

Frierich wallmaster, runs , but not cooling. Unit is 5+ years old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Suspect it needs coolant. Is that easy to do?
JA: Is there anything else the HVAC Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello these systems are all welded tubing, if they need refrigerant, the leak has to be found and welded then the system evacuated using a deep vacuum pump, then the refrigerant replaced.

(this is unlike automobile ac, where there is a shaft seal that leaks slightly and adding refrigerant is an easy process).

Repairs on smaller units can cost more that just buying a new one, Friedrich is close to double the price of most other options .. so depending the size of your unit you could likely buy a new Amana or chinese brand for less than the repair costs.

If you can give me a model number of the Friedrich unit I can look it up and give you a more precise answer.