Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I had an old mercury thermostat. I changed it out with a new

Customer Question

i had an old mercury thermostat. I changed it out with a new basic Honeywell thermostat. I labeled the wires from the old thermostat and wired the new one in. I did it through the winter and the furnace kicked on and off everytime no issues. when I went to turn on the ac nothing would kick on not even the fan running all the time. the outside unit will not start. where did I go wrong
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: the ac unit is less than 7 years old and worked perfectly last year no issues. the furnace is 40 plus years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 6 months ago.

Give me model on both your indoor outdoor units and also thermostat.Then tell me what wires you have connected to what terminals on new(If you remember where they went on old)