Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

INSTALLED A NEW 1.25 INCH NATURAL GAS SUPPLY LINE TO HEATER

Customer Question

INSTALLED A NEW 1.25 INCH NATURAL GAS SUPPLY LINE TO HEATER LAARS LITE 2. BLED THE LINE BUT IT BURST INTO FLAMES. SHUT OFF THE GAS. NOW THE HEATER WON'T RESPOND TO THE SWITCH TO TURN IT ON. IT DOESN'T CLICK OR TRY IN ANY WAY TO LIGHT. THE ELECTRIC GFI SEEMS OK. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Please explain what you mean by "IT BURST INTO FLAMES".

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the nat gas coming out of the drip leg cap that i removed to bleed the new line suddenly seemed tp spontaneously combust. big flames 2 feet wide by 2 feet high. i shut the gas valve located on the outside of the heater. i looked for damage and burnt wires but couldn't find any. i returned the drip leg cap and the heater seems totally inoperable.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did you get my last explaining how it burst into flames??
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Sorry I had to step away for a few

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

It sounds like the flames damaged the boiler control(s). Is there any obvious damage?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no obvious damage. what are the boiler controls? you mean the limit switches, or a fusible link? o the thermostatic switch.?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

If there's no obvious damage then the fusible link is the most likely culprit.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

It's located on a bracket just above and outside the burner chamber

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i took it off . it has a white and red wire. i don't know how to test it. it got alot of heat. it looks like some kind of a resistor with wire connections. located just above the heat chamber. can i test it or just fine a replacement and try it.?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can i jump the red and white wires connected to it just to see if it will work?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

You can connect the 2 leads for testing purposes only. It's a 1 time device. If the unit starts with it jumped then replace it

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

The manual doesn't give me any good info on the type. If looks like the attached pic then you can get one at any plumbing supply house maybe even the big box stores.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i jumped the two wires together taking the fusible link out of the circuitry but still no response from the heater. it makes no attempt at starting.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a multi meter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Ok, test for 24 vac across TH & GND terminals on the ignition control. If you have no voltage there then check for 24 vac at the transformer secondary. My schematic shows yellow and red as transformer secondary leads.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
your picture of fusible link was exactly right. sorry my family is driving me nuts. can i contact you again later? how?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Just come back to this thread. It won't go away and I'll respond as soon as I can. I'm online 8 am to 7 pm EDT more or less.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

How did it work out? do you still need help?