Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I've had 3 Fredrich through wall units. All three I

Customer Question

Hello, I've had 3 Fredrich through wall units. All three I purchased almost 3 years ago, so all of them are out of even the extended warenty. All three units started not cooling the room. One is worse than the others but they have all just stopped cooling.
Every now and then the unit will kick in and blow cold air but it is randomly and doesn't last long. The outside temp is only 78 degrees and the inside temp is about the same. Last night the outside temp was actually cooler than the inside temp. In all cases the outside temp doesn't exceed 85 degrees and these units will not kick in and stay cooling.
The units all blow well. I've removed the front of the unit and cleaned the coils very well and there are no obstructions. So is there anything I can do that might get them worknig again? Can I call someone to service them? Do they need service after 3 years of use?
One unit is still covered for a few more days by PC Richards. Since I picked them up in store I have to take it out of the wall and return it to PC Richards, they don't work on the units and will just give me a new one.
For the other two units is it worth calling someone to come out and try to fix them? I ddin't realize$600 a/c units had become so disposable only lasting 3 years.
Any adivce to get them working?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, take the one that has a few more days warranty on it back to the store and get a new one.

Then tell me if these units are all 5,000 BTU rated... or give me the model number so I can look them up. Friedrich gets $600 for these type units that you can buy for $200 or $300 from Amana, or even less from a chinese mfgr.

Once I know the model number I can be more helpful.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Tell me please these plug into 220 volt or 110 volt outlets as well please.