HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a "Carrier" Central Air Conditioner system

Customer Question

I have a "Carrier" Central Air Conditioner system in my house . The outside compressor is coming on correctly when I set the thermostat to a temperature so that system should run. The problem is that the blower fan (inside the house) does not start pushing air throughout the hose and out the room vents. I have taken off the access panel on the side of the Carrier (inside) unit where the fan is located where I can see the electric control board which has a lead down to the thermostat on the level below and has multiple wire that run over to the head of the fan motor. Using a "Tic Tester" to check to see if the unit has electric the "Tic Tester" chirps when I place it near the control board (indicating that there is electric at the control panel) and when I place the same "Tic tester" near the top of the motor where the before mentioned wires are connected I get the same positive "Chirp" from the tic tester.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

Check the low voltage fuse on the control board, there should be a 3-5 amp slot fuse right on the board it is likely blown.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did pull the low voltage fuse (5 AMP) but it's good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put a continuity tester accross the two terminals
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do have some photos.

If the FAN does not come on when set to FAN ON then you may have a control board issue.

You can try to jumper R to G at the control board with the door safety switch closed the fan should come on. If still it does not then I would say you have a control issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The control board is $ 200.00. If that is not the issue after I purchase and install it the only other item (as far as I can see) is the motor. Again, if I purchase the control board, do I get a full ($ 30.00) refund from "Just Answer"?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Funny you mention a door safety switch. There doesn't seem to be one and I have felt the inside track looking for just that and as I said in my 1st question, I have voltage at the motor with the door off.

This is a DIY help site obviously I can not be there and I get paid nothing at all unless a good rating is given. Further I do not even receive close to 30 dollars. If you want exact diagnosis call a tech out as being off site over chat I can not guarantee it, but based on what you are saying I would say the board is bad. Further a tic tester is nothing I would ever go by you need a real volt meter to do accurate testing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I fully understand your point. I will pick one up on Tuesday, install it and let you know the outcome. Thanks!!!

OK no problem have a good Memorial Day weekend!