BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

We have a Ruud Achiever 90 Plus HVAC unit. We turned on the

Customer Question

We have a Ruud Achiever 90 Plus HVAC unit. We turned on the AC last night. Air flow is very low. And the unit has been stopping before achieving set temperature on the thermostat. It restarts when I turn the thermostat on and off. But then stops again before too long. The filter is not the problem. And the compressor and associated fan in the outdoor unit seem to to be operating fine. But the evaporator coils in the air handler unit have a large accumulation of ice. Can you tell me what might be wrong and what I could try to get it operating this weekend? I have a house full of guests.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 months ago.

The freeze up is caused by one of 2 items.

Low air flow, dirty filter, dirty blower.

Low refrigerant. System has leaked refrigerant and is too low to operate properly.

What to do - turn system tom"off"...turn fan from "auto" to On".

wait one hour.....if air flow returns to normal then you likely are low on freon.