Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My older condo has a fan/coil heating/cooling system with

Customer Question

My older condo has a fan/coil heating/cooling system with the fan being manually operated.
When I moved in, I replaced the old round thermostat with a programmable Honeywell thermostat(RTH221?). I had two useable wires since a fan was not involved. I connected the white wire to the slot labelled "W" and the blue wire to the slot labelled " R" with a bridge connecting to slot "RC".
The system worked fine this past winter; ie delivering heat but now that we are in the midst of a heat wave, there is no cooling(yes, I did switch from heating to cooling on the thermostat). The building switches seasonally from heating to cooling but that was May 1st. Advice. Please.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I can you tell me which wire colors were attached to which terminal numbers on the old thermostat I can tell you how to wire the new one, so far it sounds like a wiring error but I am not sure until you tell me about how the old thermostat was wired... be as specific as you can please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not useful! The old Thermostat had a mercury balance in it and is long gone to the Hazmat folks. Your response is not helpful and I will deal with the system maintenance people in this building.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello ago again, so far you do not have an answer from me, we were at the research stages.... however I understand,

Good luck with building maintenance people.