Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

When I relight the pilot, and turn valve to on burner

Customer Question

When I relight the pilot, and turn valve to on burner ignites but then goes out and the pilot goes out.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Light the pilot but don't turn it to ON. Tell me if the pilot stays lit for at least 3 minutes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The pilot only stays lit for 1-1/2 minutes
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Ok, the most likely culprit is a tripped TRD (thermal release device). The TRD is a device that sits under the burner. Is can trip if it gets too hot inside the burner chamber. I can post a link to the techincal bulletin about the device and how to replace it but you may have trouble getting one since Rheem usually only sends them to licensed techs/plumbers.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

There are other possibilities but you need to check the TRD first