Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

My upstair ac unit inop. fan runs but no cool air. Fan in Ac

Customer Question

hello, My upstair ac unit inop. fan runs but no cool air. Fan in Ac condenser is working, but compressor does not kick in ( no hot air out from ac condenser, No water around the Ac line) could you give me some ideas What the problem is. ? Thanks a lot
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 6 months ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

The most common problem with this symptom is a blown compressor run capacitor or burnt wire. If you turn off power and remove the control panel cover, many times you can spot a blown run capacitor, which is a small galvanized metal or gray plastic cylinder, by visual inspection. If the top of the capacitor is domed instead of flat or if the can is bulging in any way, it is shot and needs replaced. Of course a burnt wire is easy to spot unless it's in the compressor's terminal box beneath the cover. That's kind of a pain to investigate. If by chance you lost refrigerant over the off season, this would cause this same symptom but the capacitor failure is a much more common problem. I would check that first. Capacitors are cheap, usually less than $20 or $30 and sometimes even much less. They can be found online really cheap or at a local appliance parts store for retail price. It's an easy rule-in/out.

Make sure you shut off power to the unit before messing with a capacitor and also make sure you short the capacitor terminals to the control panel casing with the shaft of a screwdriver between the terminal post and casing before touching the capacitor wiring. Capacitors can and do hold a nasty charge even after power is turned off!!!

Have a look at those things and hopefully that will lead you in the right direction!

Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!

Thank you,
Brian