Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I also have an Citadel IV 400 that has run since ~1995 ...

Customer Question

I also have an Anthony Citadel IV 400 that has run since ~1995 ... each year after opening the pool, re-pressurizing the gas-line, pool pumps on, turn on the heater - the two LEDs light and I hear tic-tic-tic from the igniter but the heater doesn't flame up ... I come the next day and redo this sequence and after few days the heater flames up ... this season, same procedure, wait few days, do it again, but nothing. Are there some steps I can take to diagnose the problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

First thing to check is, do you have gas to the pilot. To do this you need to disconnect the pilot burner tubing at the gas valve and see if you have gas at that port while the igniter is arcing. If you do have gas there then you need to clean the pilot burner and the pilot burner orifice. If you don't then you need to check for 24 vac to the pilot valve terminals on the gas valve. On a newer unit these terminals are usually PV & PV/MV. I don't know what the terminal designation would be for your 20+ year old unit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Rick,
After a while I do smell gas, so gas is reaching the unit.
Do you have illustrations of "pilot burner tubing", "pilot burner" ....?
I will try what you have suggested and then get back to you.Regards,
Norman
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

The pilot burner is attached to the end of the aluminum tubing. The pilot burner is usually attached to one of the burners. So once you disconnect the tubing you can slide the burner off the manifold then pull it out. The orifice is usually a small thimble shaped object inside the burner. It mat come out on the the end of the tubing when you disconnect it from the burner. You must pass a very fine wire through the tiny hole (~).01")in the orifice.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The orifice you are referring to, is it inside the pilot burner, or in one of the main burners?
I have taken the igniter out along with the pilot burner and have them outside the heater.
I turn on the heater again, see the igniter sparking, I smell gas, the pilot burner doesn't light.
Could gas be going to the main burners, that's why I smell gas, but no gas going to the pilot burner?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

The orifice is in the pilot burner. The orifice is usually a small thimble shaped object inside the burner. It may come out on the the end of the pilot tubing when you disconnect it from the burner. You must pass a very fine wire through the tiny hole (~).01")in the orifice.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, Kevin.
Let me ask you something about the furnace operation ...
When I turn on the heater, the power and the pressure led comes on ... what causes the heat led to come on? does it come on when the pilot burner lights?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

It should come on when the main burner fires up

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does the pilot burner have to light first, before the main burners light. It is the pilot burner that lights the main burners right?
My questions may sound stupid/fundamental, but I don't see ant thimble shapes item in the pilot burner.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Yes the pilot lights first. The orifice is probably inside the pilot burner if it didn't fall out when you disconnected the tubing.