Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

I have been told that I need to replace my existing air

Customer Question

I have been told that I need to replace my existing air conditioner an attic installation variable speed air handler cause they found a leak during my annual maintence service. My current unit is 15 years old. They quoted me 10,000. For a carrier purine ozone condensing unit model 24anb648 48000btu 4 ton seer 16 and one carrier variable speed air handler. They are using the existing ducts and thermostats. I think that's too high a price. What do you think.
JA: Sometimes HVAC issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The HVAC Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the HVAC Technician should know?
Customer: I also need to know if the unit size is correct. I think it may be too big?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

I agree this is way too high. Is this for just the AC unit or AC and air handler or furnace?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wasn't sure if you got the estimate copy. See below. I have hot water base board heating separate from air conditioner. This is replacement of the Attic unit and the outside unit. They are using my existing thermostat and air ducts. I cannot find what the costs for the carrier units they are to replace. Please see specifics in the estimate.
Carrier Ozone-Safe High-Efficiency Air Conditioning: (Replacement)
(Attic Installation): (16 SEER Infinity)
One (1) Carrier Puron Ozone-Safe high efficiency condensing unit model 24ANB648 and one (1) Carrier Variable-Speed air handler model FV4CNB006 This combination has an ARI (Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute) rating of 48,000 BTU/H (4 tons). The S.E.E.R. (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating) is 16.0 Air handler will be installed in attic in same location.
The outdoor unit will be mounted upon a Cladlite pad to be located at same location if approved by zoning. Properly trapped condensation line will be installed to outside. Safety pan will be installed. Refrigerant lines will be installed connecting indoor and outdoor units. All electrical wiring is included.
Existing thermostat will be reused. One (1) Aprilaire media style air cleaner model 2210 is included.
This installation will be adapted to your existing duct system, some modifications.
All work will be performed in accordance with a high degree of craftsmanship and in compliance with applicable regulations and codes. Annual professional maintenance is recommended on all systems.
Price: $10,045.00 valid for 30 days
Less Service call: -$70.00
Cost of above: $9,975.00
All equipment will carry a Ten (10) year parts & Five (5) year labor warranty including the compressor from date of installation. The manufacturer has the right to void equipment warranty if professional maintenance is not performed annually.
Price with single speed blower not variable, less $500.00 a/c would only be 14.5 SEER
As per the manufacturer, the system should have professional maintenance each year to prevent problems such as water leaks, clogged filters, failed safety devices, Air Group LLC will not be responsible for damages or extended warranty if professional maintenance is not performed annually.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Still extremely high. I could put in a new furnace and AC (not Carrier) for about $7000. I would definitely get at least 2 other estimates.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I find 2 reputable hvac companies to do estimates. Is there a site that I should go to help me locate a good honest company. I live I. North west Morris county New Jersey?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Some things to try: the BBB for reliable contractors, or the yellow pages, or do an internet search

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is carrier units worth the extra cost. How much would you charge for this same job using the same carrier unit replacements? What warranties would you provide?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

In my opinion, no. I don't personally install Carrier units, but doubt it would still be anywhere near that high. The warranties I provide on my equipment are 10 year parts.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Did you have additional questions on this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Tim, I just realized that I was put in touch with 2 experts at the same time. I have been working with Phil and have had significantly more interaction with him then with you. Now I know why at the beginning of our conversations it seemed that my consultant Phil was contradicting himself. But that was actually you. This situation probably happened because my credit card company denied the 1st charge for this site believing it was fraudulent. So I had to speak with them to confirm that I indeed intended on making the charge and then recharged a new session. I will need to delete the fist charge if it has not been credited. Phil has answered all my questions and I was able to resolve my issues based on his advice. Sorry for the confusion. Best, helen
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

OK, understand that I do not get paid for any of the time I spent working with you on this unless you rate my question positively.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Tim sorry for the confusion. My initial payment (yours) to this site was denied by my credit card company, they thought it was fraudgulent. I had to repay the fee shortly after I spoke to my credit card company and then got Phil. Phil had answered all my questions in detail over several days. This transaction confused me since both you and Phil seemed to be coming through on the same text. I'm sorry but I only paid for one of you(Phil). Your answers to me reinforced what I already knew, that the estimate was to high -and to look on bbb for a new contractor. Phil was very detailed with web links for my review price breakdown and gave me a crash course on hvac equipment and the company overhead and markup etc. and what to ask for what to be aware of and eventually got me to search elsewhere. I got a much better deal for 3000 less with a transferable non prorated 10 yrs parts and labor warranty included. He helped me through out the negotiation process with 2 bidding companies. So I am not able to rate you cause it was Phil who actually helped me. Again I am sorry for the confusion. I hope you have a nice weekend. Helen
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.